HUNGER WALL

Hunger Wall, sometimes also called With Teeth or Bread-like, is a marl wall on the Prague Petřín Hill, which was commissioned during 1360 - 1362 by the Czech king Charles IV., in order to strengthen the city fortification of the Prague Castle and Lesser Quarter against attack from the West and South. Originally it was approximately 4–4.5 m tall and 1.8 m wide. In the upper part it was equipped with battlements, galleries, loopholes and several (reportedly) eight advanced towers (bastions). It extended from Újezd all the way to Strahov and behind it to Hradčany.

In 1624 the wall was repaired, and it was further fortified in the middle of the 18th century by order of the Empress Maria Theresa. During the long period of the wall’s existence, many other repairs (during the modern era, for example, 1923–5, 1975) were performed and gates through the wall were variously broken through and once again walled up. One of the bastions (a five side advanced tower) of the Hunger Wall forms the base of the main dome of the Štefánik Observatory.

The wall was referred to as “Hunger” only later as a result of the famine that erupted in 1361. During this period, a part of the unemployed city poor probably found their livelihood on the construction of the wall, and according to a myth, it was the help for the poor that was the purpose of the building of the wall. But the real intentions were without a doubt purely strategic, regardless of the fact that the famine occurred only after the wall was already being built.

PLASKÁ STREET

The street originated in the place of the former walls in 1893. The name is commemorative of the fact that under the Petřín Hill (in the current Kinský Gardens), there used to be a vineyard of the Cistercians from Plasy by Pilsen, as well as their court with a provostship where several friars always stayed. That is why it used to be called “at the Plasy Monastery” here. The vineyard of the Plasy Monastery, which extended all the way to the Kinský summer-house, used to be called “In Paradise”. The remains of the burned down monastery were preserved all the way to 1729. Eventually the land was confiscated by the municipality and was divided among the city-dwellers. The vineyard was divided into 7 parts. Among the later owners it is Jan Vlčíhrdlo of Všehrdy who stands out, as in 1498 King Vladislav allowed him to also use the towers in the wall extending across Petřín and across the vineyard.




Plaská 615/8
150 00 Praha 5 - Malá Strana

Křižíkova 488/115
186 00 Praha 8 - Karlín

Zenklova 1230/185
182 00 Praha 8 - Libeň

Březinova 453/24
186 00 Praha 8 - Karlín